Black-Eyed Pea & Artichoke Salad
Frozen artichoke hearts are great to have on hand for just this type of easy salad. If you can't find frozen, go for the canned variety but keep in mind that they do have added sodium. You can rinse them under cool water to remove some of the sodium.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut each artichoke in half. Combine with black-eyed peas, onion, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce and caraway seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 167 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 379 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique