Black-Eyed Pea & Artichoke Salad
Frozen artichoke hearts are great to have on hand for just this type of easy salad. If you can't find frozen, go for the canned variety but keep in mind that they do have added sodium. You can rinse them under cool water to remove some of the sodium.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut each artichoke in half. Combine with black-eyed peas, onion, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce and caraway seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 167 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 379 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation