Black-Eyed Pea & Artichoke Salad
Frozen artichoke hearts are great to have on hand for just this type of easy salad. If you can't find frozen, go for the canned variety but keep in mind that they do have added sodium. You can rinse them under cool water to remove some of the sodium.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut each artichoke in half. Combine with black-eyed peas, onion, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce and caraway seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 167 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 379 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation