Black Beans & Rice
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
For a quick weeknight supper, use canned black beans and omit Steps 1 and 2.
- 1 pound dried black beans, (3 cups), picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups water, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Soak beans in cold water overnight. (Alternatively, put beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.)
- Drain and rinse beans. Place in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add 4 cups water, garlic, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Drain and return to the pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and jalapeño; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir onion mixture and vinegar into beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile bring remaining 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice, with lime wedges on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
Per serving: 600 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 117 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 11 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv), Iron (49% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 7
Exchanges: 5 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1998