Black Beans & Rice
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
For a quick weeknight supper, use canned black beans and omit Steps 1 and 2.
- 1 pound dried black beans, (3 cups), picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups water, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Soak beans in cold water overnight. (Alternatively, put beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.)
- Drain and rinse beans. Place in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add 4 cups water, garlic, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Drain and return to the pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and jalapeño; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir onion mixture and vinegar into beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile bring remaining 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice, with lime wedges on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
Per serving: 600 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 117 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 11 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv), Iron (49% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 7
Exchanges: 5 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1998