Black Bean Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This is a zippy Southwestern-flavored black bean soup. We make it with canned beans so it comes together in minutes. If you have leftovers, pack them up in individual serving containers for lunch the next day.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add beans, water, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan. Serve garnished with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired, just before serving.
Per serving: 191 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 408 mg sodium; 535 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Iron, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 2010