So good - made it last night for the first time. I left out the onions, added some leftover rotisserie chicken, and served it over a bed of brown rice. Even my 7 year old said "it's not terrible."
Black Bean Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This is a zippy Southwestern-flavored black bean soup. We make it with canned beans so it comes together in minutes. If you have leftovers, pack them up in individual serving containers for lunch the next day.
31 Reviews for Black Bean Soup
My husband and I loved this and I have already made it a second time - making a double recipe, I used a lot more onions, because we love them, leave the chili powder on the table to add as needed. It does have more flavor and seems to thicken on day 2. This is a keeper.
I made this as written and it was great. It's now my go-to recipe for black bean soup.
I LOVE this soup. I made it last night for dinner, and my husband and I devoured it. I added a can of garbanzo beans and the entire can of salsa instead of just 1/2 a cup, and used a large onion, but followed the rest of the recipe. I'm eating a bowl of it right now at work for lunch... and I might just eat it again for dinner tonight!
If you feel like you need meat, it would be a good basis for stewed chicken (grab a rotisserie one at the market) or lean beef. But it was GREAT without meat.
I made it for lunch and my husband and I both thought it was too watery and there was some flavor lacking. However, I ate it for dinner tonight and it was better, now that the flavors have had a chance to develop. Still a little too watery, next time, I'd reduce the water to 2 cups and add more later on.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)