Black Bean Quesadillas
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
In a hurry? These satisfying quesadillas take just 15 minutes to make. We like them with black beans, but pinto beans work well too. If you like a little heat, be sure to use pepper Jack cheese in the filling. Serve with: A little sour cream and a mixed green salad.
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, preferably pepper Jack
- 1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa (see Tip), divided
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Combine beans, cheese and 1/4 cup salsa in a medium bowl. Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 1/2 cup filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Serve the quesadillas with avocado and the remaining salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Look for prepared fresh salsa in the supermarket refrigerator section near other dips and spreads.
Per serving: 377 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 10 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 581 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Iron (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2010