Black Bean-Garlic Catfish for Two
If you’re on the fence about catfish, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles (or brown rice) and sauteed broccoli with ginger.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 2 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 193 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient