Black Bean-Garlic Catfish for Two
If you’re on the fence about catfish, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles (or brown rice) and sauteed broccoli with ginger.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 2 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 193 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique