Black Bean-Garlic Catfish for Two
If you’re on the fence about catfish, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles (or brown rice) and sauteed broccoli with ginger.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 2 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 193 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique