Black Bean-Garlic Catfish for Two
If you’re on the fence about catfish, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles (or brown rice) and sauteed broccoli with ginger.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 2 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 193 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 575 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique