Black Bean-Garlic Catfish
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This dish is great for folks who are on the fence about catfish because the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles or brown rice and sauteed broccoli with ginger broccoli.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 tablespoon scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 218 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009