Black Bean-Garlic Catfish
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This dish is great for folks who are on the fence about catfish because the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles or brown rice and sauteed broccoli with ginger broccoli.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 tablespoon scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 218 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009