Black Bean-Garlic Catfish
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This dish is great for folks who are on the fence about catfish because the pungent black bean-garlic sauce balances the fish’s strong flavor. Serve with udon noodles or brown rice and sauteed broccoli with ginger broccoli.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the flour, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining flour).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 tablespoon scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 218 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- September/October 2009