Black Bean Croquettes with Fresh Salsa
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Staples like canned black beans and frozen corn transform into spicy croquettes in mere minutes. Serve with warm corn tortillas, coleslaw and lime wedges.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, hot if desired, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mash black beans and cumin with a fork in a large bowl until no whole beans remain. Stir in corn and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup of the tomato mixture into the black bean mixture.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder in a small bowl until the breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Divide the bean mixture into 8 scant 1/2-cup balls. Lightly press each bean ball into the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the croquettes until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir avocado into the remaining tomato mixture. Serve the salsa with the croquettes.
Per serving: 405 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 16 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (81% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2008