Bitter Greens Salad with Aged Balsamic, Pine Nuts & Currants
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This salad features a colorful combination of escarole, endive and radicchio, along with currants, pine nuts and Parmesan. Serve as a first course or to accompany grilled steaks rubbed with rosemary and garlic.
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed
- 1 head Treviso or radicchio, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, preferably aged
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated good-quality aged Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- Cut endive in quarters lengthwise. Slice escarole (and radicchio, if using) in half, then cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Arrange the greens on 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, then top with 1 tablespoon each Parmesan, pine nuts and currants.
Per serving: 207 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012