Bitter Greens Salad with Aged Balsamic, Pine Nuts & Currants
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This salad features a colorful combination of escarole, endive and radicchio, along with currants, pine nuts and Parmesan. Serve as a first course or to accompany grilled steaks rubbed with rosemary and garlic.
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed
- 1 head Treviso or radicchio, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, preferably aged
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated good-quality aged Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- Cut endive in quarters lengthwise. Slice escarole (and radicchio, if using) in half, then cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Arrange the greens on 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, then top with 1 tablespoon each Parmesan, pine nuts and currants.
Per serving: 207 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012