Bitter Greens Salad with Aged Balsamic, Pine Nuts & Currants
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This salad features a colorful combination of escarole, endive and radicchio, along with currants, pine nuts and Parmesan. Serve as a first course or to accompany grilled steaks rubbed with rosemary and garlic.
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed
- 1 head Treviso or radicchio, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, preferably aged
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated good-quality aged Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- Cut endive in quarters lengthwise. Slice escarole (and radicchio, if using) in half, then cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Arrange the greens on 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, then top with 1 tablespoon each Parmesan, pine nuts and currants.
Per serving: 207 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 2012