Bitter Greens Salad with Aged Balsamic, Pine Nuts & Currants
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This salad features a colorful combination of escarole, endive and radicchio, along with currants, pine nuts and Parmesan. Serve as a first course or to accompany grilled steaks rubbed with rosemary and garlic.
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed
- 1 head Treviso or radicchio, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, preferably aged
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated good-quality aged Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- Cut endive in quarters lengthwise. Slice escarole (and radicchio, if using) in half, then cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Arrange the greens on 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, then top with 1 tablespoon each Parmesan, pine nuts and currants.
Per serving: 207 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 429 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012