Bistro Beef Salad
Shallot vinaigrette unifies a simple salad of leftover beef, potatoes and cherry tomatoes; serve with a loaf of crusty whole-wheat bread and a glass of Cabernet.
- 4 red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters (1 pound)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 2 cups red or yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 12 ounces cooked roast beef, or steak, thinly sliced
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with lightly salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallots, vinegar, mustard, parsley, tarragon and water in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse with cold water. Divide lettuce among 4 plates; arrange the potatoes, tomatoes and beef on top. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Per serving: 355 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Zinc (44% dv), Selenium (29% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient