Bistro Beef Salad
Shallot vinaigrette unifies a simple salad of leftover beef, potatoes and cherry tomatoes; serve with a loaf of crusty whole-wheat bread and a glass of Cabernet.
- 4 red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters (1 pound)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 2 cups red or yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 12 ounces cooked roast beef, or steak, thinly sliced
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with lightly salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallots, vinegar, mustard, parsley, tarragon and water in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse with cold water. Divide lettuce among 4 plates; arrange the potatoes, tomatoes and beef on top. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Per serving: 355 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Zinc (44% dv), Selenium (29% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation