From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Crisp with nuts and whole wheat, these cookies are made to dunk in strong coffee.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and dust it with flour, tapping out the excess. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place half of the walnuts and hazelnuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until they resemble coarse meal but not powder. Coarsely chop the remaining nuts.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar and the ground and chopped nuts.
- Beat together 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a smaller bowl, reserving the second white. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in egg mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be stiff.
- Shape dough into three 18-inch-long, 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Arrange the ropes on the prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with the reserved egg white. Bake them for 20 minutes. Cut the rolls into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch wide. Reduce the oven heat to 225°, and bake again until the biscotti are crisp and browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per biscotti: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Charter Issue, 1990