From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Crisp with nuts and whole wheat, these cookies are made to dunk in strong coffee.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and dust it with flour, tapping out the excess. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place half of the walnuts and hazelnuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until they resemble coarse meal but not powder. Coarsely chop the remaining nuts.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar and the ground and chopped nuts.
- Beat together 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a smaller bowl, reserving the second white. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in egg mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be stiff.
- Shape dough into three 18-inch-long, 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Arrange the ropes on the prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with the reserved egg white. Bake them for 20 minutes. Cut the rolls into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch wide. Reduce the oven heat to 225°, and bake again until the biscotti are crisp and browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per biscotti: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Charter Issue, 1990