From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Crisp with nuts and whole wheat, these cookies are made to dunk in strong coffee.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and dust it with flour, tapping out the excess. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place half of the walnuts and hazelnuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until they resemble coarse meal but not powder. Coarsely chop the remaining nuts.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar and the ground and chopped nuts.
- Beat together 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a smaller bowl, reserving the second white. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in egg mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be stiff.
- Shape dough into three 18-inch-long, 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Arrange the ropes on the prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with the reserved egg white. Bake them for 20 minutes. Cut the rolls into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch wide. Reduce the oven heat to 225°, and bake again until the biscotti are crisp and browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per biscotti: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990