From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Crisp with nuts and whole wheat, these cookies are made to dunk in strong coffee.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and dust it with flour, tapping out the excess. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place half of the walnuts and hazelnuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until they resemble coarse meal but not powder. Coarsely chop the remaining nuts.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar and the ground and chopped nuts.
- Beat together 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a smaller bowl, reserving the second white. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in egg mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be stiff.
- Shape dough into three 18-inch-long, 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Arrange the ropes on the prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with the reserved egg white. Bake them for 20 minutes. Cut the rolls into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch wide. Reduce the oven heat to 225°, and bake again until the biscotti are crisp and browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per biscotti: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Charter Issue, 1990