From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Crisp with nuts and whole wheat, these cookies are made to dunk in strong coffee.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and dust it with flour, tapping out the excess. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place half of the walnuts and hazelnuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until they resemble coarse meal but not powder. Coarsely chop the remaining nuts.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar and the ground and chopped nuts.
- Beat together 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a smaller bowl, reserving the second white. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in egg mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be stiff.
- Shape dough into three 18-inch-long, 1/2-inch-thick ropes. Arrange the ropes on the prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with the reserved egg white. Bake them for 20 minutes. Cut the rolls into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch wide. Reduce the oven heat to 225°, and bake again until the biscotti are crisp and browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per biscotti: 40 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990