Bird's Nest Pastries (Kadaif)
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Kadaif is a classic Middle Eastern pastry, traditionally tossed with lots of butter, filled with cheese or nuts and drenched with a heavy sugar syrupâ€”too much of too many good things, actually. Our version uses Shredded Wheat cereal to replicate authentic kadaif dough, which resembles thin shreds of phyllo. We replaced most of the butter with cinnamon- and lemon-infused milk, added a mixture of pistachios and walnuts and drizzled the warm pastries with a honeyed syrup. The result: A harmonious accord between crunchy textures and rich flavors, ancient ingredients and modern sensibilities.
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip lemon zest, 1 by 2 inches
- 6 rectangles Shredded Wheat cereal, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- To make & bake birdsâ€™ nests: Bring milk, butter, cinnamon stick and lemon zest to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Dip cereal pieces, one at a time, into the warm milk, soaking just until softened. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet with a slotted spoon. Use your fingers to shape each piece into a round nest, 3 inches in diameter. Place 1 inch apart. Drizzle remaining milk over the nests.
- Place 3 tablespoons sugar, walnuts, pistachios and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Divide mixture among hollows of nests. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 30 minutes.
- To make syrup: Combine 1/3 cup sugar, water, honey and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and drizzle hot syrup over warm birdsâ€™ nests. Serve warm or at room temperature shortly after baking.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 21 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time youâ€™re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If youâ€™re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1997