Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies
EatingWell reader Beverley Sharpe of California contributed this recipe. She updated a favorite treat by cutting back on sugar and incorporating whole grains. To increase protein, she replaces the rolled oats with 1 cup almond meal.
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Grind oats in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy. With the mixer running, add the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls, at least 1 inch apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until firm around the edges and golden on top, about 15 minutes. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Storage smarts: To extend the life of your baked goods, store them in an airtight container in a single layer or between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Per cookie: 99 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 41 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate