From EatingWell: March/April 1995
The combination of blackberries and raspberries in this favorite old-time dessert is lovely; blueberries are good in it too.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon apple or cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
- To prepare topping: Position oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Stir together oats, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, apple (or cranberry) juice and cinnamon in a small bowl; work the mixture together with your fingers until it is evenly moistened.
- To make cake: Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Scatter the berries over the batter, then sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until the top feels firm when lightly pressed in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan sides; serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995