From EatingWell: March/April 1995
The combination of blackberries and raspberries in this favorite old-time dessert is lovely; blueberries are good in it too.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon apple or cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
- To prepare topping: Position oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Stir together oats, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, apple (or cranberry) juice and cinnamon in a small bowl; work the mixture together with your fingers until it is evenly moistened.
- To make cake: Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Scatter the berries over the batter, then sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until the top feels firm when lightly pressed in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan sides; serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995