From EatingWell: March/April 1995
The combination of blackberries and raspberries in this favorite old-time dessert is lovely; blueberries are good in it too.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon apple or cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
- To prepare topping: Position oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Stir together oats, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, apple (or cranberry) juice and cinnamon in a small bowl; work the mixture together with your fingers until it is evenly moistened.
- To make cake: Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Scatter the berries over the batter, then sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until the top feels firm when lightly pressed in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan sides; serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995