From EatingWell: March/April 1995
The combination of blackberries and raspberries in this favorite old-time dessert is lovely; blueberries are good in it too.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon apple or cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
- To prepare topping: Position oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Stir together oats, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, apple (or cranberry) juice and cinnamon in a small bowl; work the mixture together with your fingers until it is evenly moistened.
- To make cake: Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Scatter the berries over the batter, then sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until the top feels firm when lightly pressed in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan sides; serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995