From EatingWell: March/April 1995
The combination of blackberries and raspberries in this favorite old-time dessert is lovely; blueberries are good in it too.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon apple or cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
- To prepare topping: Position oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Stir together oats, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, apple (or cranberry) juice and cinnamon in a small bowl; work the mixture together with your fingers until it is evenly moistened.
- To make cake: Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Scatter the berries over the batter, then sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until the top feels firm when lightly pressed in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan sides; serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1995