Bell Pepper & Beef Curry
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A combination of green beans, red bell peppers and sweet mango makes this beef curry recipe colorful. The heat and salt level can vary widely in red curry paste depending on the brand—taste as you go. Serve with noodles and a basil-and-jícama salad.
- 1 pound beef sirloin or strip steak, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin, 2-inch strips
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large mango, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 lime wedges
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and drain any liquid from the pan; wipe out the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, green beans and bell peppers to the pan and cook, stirring, just until the beans begin to color, 2 to 4 minutes. Combine coconut milk and curry paste and pour the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the beef and any juice on the plate to the pan along with mango; cook, stirring once or twice, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 368 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (237% daily value), Vitamin A (78% dv), Zinc (31% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- May/June 2012