Bell Pepper & Beef Curry
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A combination of green beans, red bell peppers and sweet mango makes this beef curry recipe colorful. The heat and salt level can vary widely in red curry paste depending on the brand—taste as you go. Serve with noodles and a basil-and-jícama salad.
- 1 pound beef sirloin or strip steak, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin, 2-inch strips
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large mango, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 lime wedges
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and drain any liquid from the pan; wipe out the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, green beans and bell peppers to the pan and cook, stirring, just until the beans begin to color, 2 to 4 minutes. Combine coconut milk and curry paste and pour the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the beef and any juice on the plate to the pan along with mango; cook, stirring once or twice, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 368 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (237% daily value), Vitamin A (78% dv), Zinc (31% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- May/June 2012