Bell Pepper & Beef Curry
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A combination of green beans, red bell peppers and sweet mango makes this beef curry recipe colorful. The heat and salt level can vary widely in red curry paste depending on the brand—taste as you go. Serve with noodles and a basil-and-jícama salad.
- 1 pound beef sirloin or strip steak, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin, 2-inch strips
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large mango, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 lime wedges
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and drain any liquid from the pan; wipe out the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, green beans and bell peppers to the pan and cook, stirring, just until the beans begin to color, 2 to 4 minutes. Combine coconut milk and curry paste and pour the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the beef and any juice on the plate to the pan along with mango; cook, stirring once or twice, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 368 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (237% daily value), Vitamin A (78% dv), Zinc (31% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012