Bell Pepper & Beef Curry
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
A combination of green beans, red bell peppers and sweet mango makes this beef curry recipe colorful. The heat and salt level can vary widely in red curry paste depending on the brand—taste as you go. Serve with noodles and a basil-and-jícama salad.
- 1 pound beef sirloin or strip steak, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin, 2-inch strips
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large mango, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 lime wedges
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and drain any liquid from the pan; wipe out the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, green beans and bell peppers to the pan and cook, stirring, just until the beans begin to color, 2 to 4 minutes. Combine coconut milk and curry paste and pour the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the beef and any juice on the plate to the pan along with mango; cook, stirring once or twice, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 368 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 690 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (237% daily value), Vitamin A (78% dv), Zinc (31% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012