From EatingWell: Fall 2003
It's time we rescued beets from our childhood nightmares—when they were little better than bland wedges scooped out of a can. Roasted beets are delightful, sweet but very earthy and aromatic—great for a side salad.
- 2 pounds beets, (5-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide beets between 2 pieces of foil; bring edges together and crimp to make packets. Roast until the beets are just tender when pierced with the point of a knife, about 1 1/4 hours. Unwrap the beets and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl to make dressing.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add celery, shallot and the dressing; toss to coat well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 120 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 404 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Fall 2003