From EatingWell: Fall 2003
It's time we rescued beets from our childhood nightmares—when they were little better than bland wedges scooped out of a can. Roasted beets are delightful, sweet but very earthy and aromatic—great for a side salad.
- 2 pounds beets, (5-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide beets between 2 pieces of foil; bring edges together and crimp to make packets. Roast until the beets are just tender when pierced with the point of a knife, about 1 1/4 hours. Unwrap the beets and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl to make dressing.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add celery, shallot and the dressing; toss to coat well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 120 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 404 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Fall 2003