From EatingWell: Fall 2003
It's time we rescued beets from our childhood nightmares—when they were little better than bland wedges scooped out of a can. Roasted beets are delightful, sweet but very earthy and aromatic—great for a side salad.
- 2 pounds beets, (5-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide beets between 2 pieces of foil; bring edges together and crimp to make packets. Roast until the beets are just tender when pierced with the point of a knife, about 1 1/4 hours. Unwrap the beets and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl to make dressing.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add celery, shallot and the dressing; toss to coat well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 120 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 404 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Fall 2003