From EatingWell: July/August 1993
The unlikely combination of beets and raspberries produces a wonderfully refreshing and delicious soup.
- 1 pound beets, (6 medium), scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (2 medium)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover beets with cold water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Drain the beets, reserving 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid. Peel the beets. Cut one beet into matchsticks and set aside; cut the remaining beets into chunks.
- Place the beet chunks, shallots and raspberries in a blender or food processor and puree, adding the reserved cooking liquid as needed for a smooth consistency. To strain the seeds from the mixture, pour through a fine-meshed sieve set over a large bowl. Stir milk, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with the julienned beets.
Per serving: 73 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993