From EatingWell: July/August 1993
The unlikely combination of beets and raspberries produces a wonderfully refreshing and delicious soup.
- 1 pound beets, (6 medium), scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (2 medium)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover beets with cold water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Drain the beets, reserving 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid. Peel the beets. Cut one beet into matchsticks and set aside; cut the remaining beets into chunks.
- Place the beet chunks, shallots and raspberries in a blender or food processor and puree, adding the reserved cooking liquid as needed for a smooth consistency. To strain the seeds from the mixture, pour through a fine-meshed sieve set over a large bowl. Stir milk, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with the julienned beets.
Per serving: 73 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993