From EatingWell: July/August 1993
The unlikely combination of beets and raspberries produces a wonderfully refreshing and delicious soup.
- 1 pound beets, (6 medium), scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (2 medium)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover beets with cold water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Drain the beets, reserving 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid. Peel the beets. Cut one beet into matchsticks and set aside; cut the remaining beets into chunks.
- Place the beet chunks, shallots and raspberries in a blender or food processor and puree, adding the reserved cooking liquid as needed for a smooth consistency. To strain the seeds from the mixture, pour through a fine-meshed sieve set over a large bowl. Stir milk, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with the julienned beets.
Per serving: 73 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993