From EatingWell: July/August 1993
The unlikely combination of beets and raspberries produces a wonderfully refreshing and delicious soup.
- 1 pound beets, (6 medium), scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, (2 medium)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover beets with cold water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Drain the beets, reserving 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid. Peel the beets. Cut one beet into matchsticks and set aside; cut the remaining beets into chunks.
- Place the beet chunks, shallots and raspberries in a blender or food processor and puree, adding the reserved cooking liquid as needed for a smooth consistency. To strain the seeds from the mixture, pour through a fine-meshed sieve set over a large bowl. Stir milk, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with the julienned beets.
Per serving: 73 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993