Roasted Beet & Barley Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Barley matches up with earthy, tender beets and the crunch of fresh celery, radishes and nuts in this beet salad recipe. Red beets turn your salad a gorgeous magenta. For a softer color, use golden or chioggia baby beets instead.
- 1 1/4 pounds baby beets (10 to 15, depending on size)
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted (see Tip), coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub beets under running water. Wrap the damp beets in heavy-duty foil (or a double layer of foil), crimping it closed to make a packet. Place in the oven and roast the beets until tender when pierced with a fork, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size. Unwrap; when cool enough to handle, slip off the skins with your fingers. Cut the beets in quarters lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, combine water, barley and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook, uncovered, until the barley is tender, but still chewy, 40 to 50 minutes. Drain well and spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, honey (or agave), pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the beets, celery, radishes and scallions; toss to coat. Let the vegetables marinate in the dressing for about 15 minutes. Stir in the barley.
- Just before serving, stir in basil and top with nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 (don’t add radishes), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Stir in radishes and basil and top with nuts before serving.
- Tip: Toast nuts before using in a recipe for the best flavor. To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 262 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 8 g fiber; 367 mg sodium; 535 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv), Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)