Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Tomato & Avocado Salsa
Lovers of fried fish get the taste without all the calories, and the salsa adds a fresh, clean note. To complete the Baja theme, serve with black beans, some diced mango and a bit of light sour cream.
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne, if desired
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup beer
- 8 ounces tilapia fillet, cut crosswise into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
- To prepare salsa: Combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice to taste, kosher salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in avocado and cilantro. Add cayenne (if using).
- To prepare tacos: Combine flour, cumin, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Whisk in beer to create a batter.
- Coat tilapia pieces in the batter. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Letting excess batter drip back into the bowl, add the fish to the pan; cook until crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Serve the fish with tortillas and the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate salsa (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 401 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 8 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 975 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (27% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation