Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Tomato & Avocado Salsa
Lovers of fried fish get the taste without all the calories, and the salsa adds a fresh, clean note. To complete the Baja theme, serve with black beans, some diced mango and a bit of light sour cream.
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne, if desired
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup beer
- 8 ounces tilapia fillet, cut crosswise into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
- To prepare salsa: Combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice to taste, kosher salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in avocado and cilantro. Add cayenne (if using).
- To prepare tacos: Combine flour, cumin, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Whisk in beer to create a batter.
- Coat tilapia pieces in the batter. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Letting excess batter drip back into the bowl, add the fish to the pan; cook until crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Serve the fish with tortillas and the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate salsa (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 401 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 8 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 975 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (27% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo