Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Tomato & Avocado Salsa
Lovers of fried fish get the taste without all the calories, and the salsa adds a fresh, clean note. To complete the Baja theme, serve with black beans, some diced mango and a bit of light sour cream.
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne, if desired
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup beer
- 8 ounces tilapia fillet, cut crosswise into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
- To prepare salsa: Combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice to taste, kosher salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in avocado and cilantro. Add cayenne (if using).
- To prepare tacos: Combine flour, cumin, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Whisk in beer to create a batter.
- Coat tilapia pieces in the batter. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Letting excess batter drip back into the bowl, add the fish to the pan; cook until crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Serve the fish with tortillas and the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate salsa (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 401 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 8 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 975 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (27% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient