Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Tomato & Avocado Salsa
Lovers of fried fish get the taste without all the calories, and the salsa adds a fresh, clean note. To complete the Baja theme, serve with black beans, some diced mango and a bit of light sour cream.
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne, if desired
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup beer
- 8 ounces tilapia fillet, cut crosswise into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
- To prepare salsa: Combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice to taste, kosher salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in avocado and cilantro. Add cayenne (if using).
- To prepare tacos: Combine flour, cumin, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Whisk in beer to create a batter.
- Coat tilapia pieces in the batter. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Letting excess batter drip back into the bowl, add the fish to the pan; cook until crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Serve the fish with tortillas and the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate salsa (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 401 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 8 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 975 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (27% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)