Beef, Watercress & Roquefort Burgers
Roquefort cheese, peppery watercress and succulent beef create a deliciously bold burger that meat lovers will rave over. The bulgur stretches the ground beef and boosts the fiber.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped watercress leaves, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort cheese, (1 ounce)
- 4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted
- Combine bulgur and warm water in a medium bowl; let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Add beef, watercress, salt and pepper to the plumped bulgur and mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape the mixture into eight 3/8-inch-thick patties (see Tip). Sandwich cheese between the patties to form 4 stuffed burgers.
- Grill or broil the patties on a lightly oiled rack (see Tip) until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 160° F.) Place the burgers on buns and garnish with watercress sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of wheat that has been parboiled and dried. Don't confuse it with cracked wheat, which needs longer cooking.
Per serving: 328 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 478 mg potassium (24% dv), 22% dv fiber, 3 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient