Beef, Watercress & Roquefort Burgers
Roquefort cheese, peppery watercress and succulent beef create a deliciously bold burger that meat lovers will rave over. The bulgur stretches the ground beef and boosts the fiber.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped watercress leaves, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort cheese, (1 ounce)
- 4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted
- Combine bulgur and warm water in a medium bowl; let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Add beef, watercress, salt and pepper to the plumped bulgur and mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape the mixture into eight 3/8-inch-thick patties (see Tip). Sandwich cheese between the patties to form 4 stuffed burgers.
- Grill or broil the patties on a lightly oiled rack (see Tip) until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 160° F.) Place the burgers on buns and garnish with watercress sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of wheat that has been parboiled and dried. Don't confuse it with cracked wheat, which needs longer cooking.
Per serving: 328 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 478 mg potassium (24% dv), 22% dv fiber, 3 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation