Beef, Watercress & Roquefort Burgers
Roquefort cheese, peppery watercress and succulent beef create a deliciously bold burger that meat lovers will rave over. The bulgur stretches the ground beef and boosts the fiber.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped watercress leaves, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort cheese, (1 ounce)
- 4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted
- Combine bulgur and warm water in a medium bowl; let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Add beef, watercress, salt and pepper to the plumped bulgur and mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape the mixture into eight 3/8-inch-thick patties (see Tip). Sandwich cheese between the patties to form 4 stuffed burgers.
- Grill or broil the patties on a lightly oiled rack (see Tip) until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 160° F.) Place the burgers on buns and garnish with watercress sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of wheat that has been parboiled and dried. Don't confuse it with cracked wheat, which needs longer cooking.
Per serving: 328 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 478 mg potassium (24% dv), 22% dv fiber, 3 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient