Beef, Watercress & Roquefort Burgers
Roquefort cheese, peppery watercress and succulent beef create a deliciously bold burger that meat lovers will rave over. The bulgur stretches the ground beef and boosts the fiber.
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped watercress leaves, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort cheese, (1 ounce)
- 4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted
- Combine bulgur and warm water in a medium bowl; let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Add beef, watercress, salt and pepper to the plumped bulgur and mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape the mixture into eight 3/8-inch-thick patties (see Tip). Sandwich cheese between the patties to form 4 stuffed burgers.
- Grill or broil the patties on a lightly oiled rack (see Tip) until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 160° F.) Place the burgers on buns and garnish with watercress sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of wheat that has been parboiled and dried. Don't confuse it with cracked wheat, which needs longer cooking.
Per serving: 328 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 478 mg potassium (24% dv), 22% dv fiber, 3 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient