Beef Tournedos with Gin & Juniper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Searing the steaks in a very hot, dry pan ensures succulent meat.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons gin
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons juniper berries, crushed
- 2 4-ounce beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Combine broth, gin, vinegar and juniper berries in a measuring cup. Set aside.
- Brush or rub steaks with oil. Press pepper onto the steaks and season with salt. Heat a medium cast-iron or heavy skillet over high heat until nearly smoking. Place steaks in the heated pan and cook until browned on the outside but still pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the reserved broth mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until reduced slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Place the steaks on individual plates and spoon the sauce over.
Tips & Notes
- To crush juniper berries: Place whole spices in a plastic bag and crush with the bottom of a heavy skillet or pulse in a spice grinder.
Per serving: 312 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 0 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 463 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value), Zinc (40% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993