From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Tataki is a typical Japanese preparation in which beef or fish is seared on the outside, left very rare inside, thinly sliced and served with a citrusy soy sauce. In this version, a springy salad of crisp radishes and carrot matchsticks combined with sliced onion provides textural contrast to the flavorful steak. Serve this dish over a bed of buckwheat soba noodles to make it a meal.
- 1 cup matchstick-cut red radishes, or peeled daikon radish (see Note)
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, 3/4-1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Place radishes (or daikon), carrot and onion in a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine soy sauce, lemon juice, scallions and ginger in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the drained vegetables and toss. Set aside the remaining sauce.
- Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steak 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes, then thinly slice and serve with the vegetables, drizzled with the reserved sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Daikon is a long, white radish; it can be found in Asian groceries and most natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 196 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 617 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007