From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Tataki is a typical Japanese preparation in which beef or fish is seared on the outside, left very rare inside, thinly sliced and served with a citrusy soy sauce. In this version, a springy salad of crisp radishes and carrot matchsticks combined with sliced onion provides textural contrast to the flavorful steak. Serve this dish over a bed of buckwheat soba noodles to make it a meal.
- 1 cup matchstick-cut red radishes, or peeled daikon radish (see Note)
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, 3/4-1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Place radishes (or daikon), carrot and onion in a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine soy sauce, lemon juice, scallions and ginger in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the drained vegetables and toss. Set aside the remaining sauce.
- Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steak 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes, then thinly slice and serve with the vegetables, drizzled with the reserved sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Daikon is a long, white radish; it can be found in Asian groceries and most natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 196 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 617 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007