A little tender beef goes a long way when it is supplemented with flavorful mushrooms and enriched with a robust sauce in this healthy stroganoff.
- 1 pound whole-wheat egg noodles
- 8 ounces filet mignon or sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Season beef lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in 2 batches until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and sauté until softened and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add mushrooms and sauté until they are just beginning to give off their moisture, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the wine and let evaporate, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, sour cream and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the reserved beef and cook just until heated through. Serve over the cooked noodles.
Per serving: 381 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (100% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (22% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less