A little tender beef goes a long way when it is supplemented with flavorful mushrooms and enriched with a robust sauce in this healthy stroganoff.
- 1 pound whole-wheat egg noodles
- 8 ounces filet mignon or sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Season beef lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in 2 batches until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and sauté until softened and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add mushrooms and sauté until they are just beginning to give off their moisture, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the wine and let evaporate, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, sour cream and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the reserved beef and cook just until heated through. Serve over the cooked noodles.
Per serving: 381 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (100% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (22% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)