A little tender beef goes a long way when it is supplemented with flavorful mushrooms and enriched with a robust sauce in this healthy stroganoff.
- 1 pound whole-wheat egg noodles
- 8 ounces filet mignon or sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Season beef lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in 2 batches until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and sauté until softened and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add mushrooms and sauté until they are just beginning to give off their moisture, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the wine and let evaporate, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, sour cream and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the reserved beef and cook just until heated through. Serve over the cooked noodles.
Per serving: 381 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (100% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (22% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique