A little tender beef goes a long way when it is supplemented with flavorful mushrooms and enriched with a robust sauce in this healthy stroganoff.
- 1 pound whole-wheat egg noodles
- 8 ounces filet mignon or sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Season beef lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in 2 batches until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and sauté until softened and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add mushrooms and sauté until they are just beginning to give off their moisture, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the wine and let evaporate, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, sour cream and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the reserved beef and cook just until heated through. Serve over the cooked noodles.
Per serving: 381 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (100% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (22% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation