Veal bones make a particularly rich, gelatinous beef stock. If you don't have them, substitute an equal amount of beef bones. The step of roasting the bones, which imparts fuller flavor, may be omitted if time is short.
- 3 pounds assorted beef bones, (shin, shank, short ribs or marrowbones)
- 4 pounds veal bones
- 2 large onions, left whole
- 6 whole cloves
- 5 quarts cold water
- 5 carrots, left whole
- 2 stalks celery, left whole
- 1 leek, white part only, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large head garlic, unpeeled
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bones in a large roasting pan. Roast until golden, 40 minutes. Stud each onion with 3 cloves. Place the roasted bones in a large stock pot with water. Bring to a boil, skim foam and reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, leek, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaf and simmer, uncovered, for 5 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve. Skim fat, if using immediately, or refrigerate overnight and remove solidified fat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients.
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique