Veal bones make a particularly rich, gelatinous beef stock. If you don't have them, substitute an equal amount of beef bones. The step of roasting the bones, which imparts fuller flavor, may be omitted if time is short.
- 3 pounds assorted beef bones, (shin, shank, short ribs or marrowbones)
- 4 pounds veal bones
- 2 large onions, left whole
- 6 whole cloves
- 5 quarts cold water
- 5 carrots, left whole
- 2 stalks celery, left whole
- 1 leek, white part only, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large head garlic, unpeeled
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bones in a large roasting pan. Roast until golden, 40 minutes. Stud each onion with 3 cloves. Place the roasted bones in a large stock pot with water. Bring to a boil, skim foam and reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, leek, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaf and simmer, uncovered, for 5 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve. Skim fat, if using immediately, or refrigerate overnight and remove solidified fat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients.
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)