Veal bones make a particularly rich, gelatinous beef stock. If you don't have them, substitute an equal amount of beef bones. The step of roasting the bones, which imparts fuller flavor, may be omitted if time is short.
- 3 pounds assorted beef bones, (shin, shank, short ribs or marrowbones)
- 4 pounds veal bones
- 2 large onions, left whole
- 6 whole cloves
- 5 quarts cold water
- 5 carrots, left whole
- 2 stalks celery, left whole
- 1 leek, white part only, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large head garlic, unpeeled
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bones in a large roasting pan. Roast until golden, 40 minutes. Stud each onion with 3 cloves. Place the roasted bones in a large stock pot with water. Bring to a boil, skim foam and reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, leek, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaf and simmer, uncovered, for 5 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve. Skim fat, if using immediately, or refrigerate overnight and remove solidified fat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients.
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique